Fly Like Ms. Eagle - (And Vote for Her!!)


Hello, loves!

First, happy Friday!! Hope everyone is as lucky as I am and has summer Fridays!

Second, here is the exclusive interview I promised featuring Eleisha Eagle:

1. I’m reading over your EPK and I’ve got to say – you’ve done incredible things over the past few years. Which of your many accomplishments are you most proud of?

I'd have to say I am most proud of my benefit concerts. Every year in my hometown (Lake Charles, LA) I put on a concert to raise money for non-profit organizations that benefit children. In the four years of its existence, Eleisha Eagle in Concert has raised $90,000 -- the money has gone to building classrooms, helping children with special needs, teaching kids to read, etc. I am incredibly appreciative and humbled by the amount of support that Lake Charles has given me, and the concert allows me to give back.

2. I’m listening to Neither Here Nor There Right Now. What’s your favorite song on the album (mine are Hooked and Goodbye)?

Picking a favorite song is like picking a favorite child for me, because I write all of the songs myself. There are definitely some that I like to sing more than others, but I don't have a particular favorite.

3. I’ve seen this description of you quite a bit: “She plays her electric piano with the skill of Rufus Wainwright and the quirkiness of Feist. Her voice – which exudes Norah Jones’ clarity and rivals Pavarotti’s projection – hits the back of the wall when she sings.” For everyone out there that’s never heard your music, how accurate is that statement?

Everyone who sees me play has a difficult time describing my music. The one comment that I hear more than anything is, "It's so refreshing!" That and, "How does such a big voice come out of such a little person?" I guess the Pavarotti part of the description comes from the latter statement, and the other comparisons are a nod to original pianist/singer/songwriters who have their own unique sounds. I suppose the description is less about a specific sounding genre and more about artists who have paved their own ways by staying true to their vision.

4. Who are your musical influences?


I am a HUGE fan of Nina Simone, and find myself listening to a lot of music from the twenties and thirties . When I first started writing, I was influenced by Ben Folds and Fiona Apple. Now, I listen to everything that I possibly can and pay attention to what makes my soul stir.

5. You have 10 Steps to World Domination? Tell me about that.

I was asked to write an article for a small magazine a few years ago. At that point , the DYI approach was new to the music scene and educational resources were minimal. I saw it as an opportunity to share the lessons I had learned as an independent artist with other aspiring artists.

6. So you do it all: play instruments, sing, write your own music, and – rumor has it – all while wearing five inch heels. Why is that? Napoleon complex or just a big fan of shoes? And which pair of shoes is your favorite?

Well, I might absolutely love shoes. Just maybe. :) And my feet are the only thing you see when I'm sitting behind the keyboard, so I figured I'd go all out with the foot apparel. I think my favorite pairs of shoes are a bright yellow patent leather pair from ALDO and a turquoise suede pair from Steve Madden.



Hope you all know a little more now about this talented Louisiana songstress! Don't forget to vote for her (or GGG is you feel so inclined) in the Scott Pilgrim vs. the World contest (which ends TONIGHT at midnight): http://indierockvstheworld.sonicbids.com/UniversalHeadToHead.aspx?b=25


And so you know, Eleisha is working in Florida with a non-profit right now and is - unsurprisingly - extremely busy. Special thanks to her for offering to do the interview and for answering what questions she could!
@ClaireMBiggs

I do not own the rights to this picture - it is the one on Eleisha's Facebook profile homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers