Locked and Loaded: Our Interview with Lock & Mane's Jackie Cascarano

It's been said that hair is the perfect accessory - and the ladies and Lock & Mane are proving that point.

Their site, http://www.lockandmane.com/, is the destination for luxurious hair products. I caught up with Jackie Cascarano, Lock & Mane's Creative Director, and she told me everything from what hair trends she wants to see this fall to what you need to do to ace an interview with their team (hint: it involves making a martini!).


1. You describe yourself as a recovering attorney. How did you jump from practicing law to creating Lock & Mane? That seems like quite a career change...

I always knew I wanted to do something in the beauty industry. Law was a safe career choice and I enjoyed it, but I always knew it wasn't the best fit for my demeanor and interests. My mother and I founded Lock & Mane in 2009 because we couldn't find a website that was upscale and completely devoted to luxe hair products and accessories. But we also wanted a site that had a personal touch with fun commentary on the latest hair trends and celebrity styles.


2. As I'm sure you know, there are lots of sites out there that are dedicated to hair and hair products. What sets Lock & Mane apart?

Lock & Mane is the fastest growing beauty retailer online because it truly is the ultimate destination for luxury hair products and hair accessories. We believe in all the products we carry because have tried them ourselves (and love them!). There's a personal touch to the site - we have video reviews of products, photos of us wearing the hair accessories, and a fabulous blog with fun commentary on trends and celeb styles. You can come to Lock & Mane to see what hairstyle your favorite celeb is wearing these days and also buy the products that will give you that look.


3. I really love your blog. Why do you think it's important to keep a blog when you have some many other facets to your site (not that I'm complaining!)?

Thanks! We love the blog because it makes Lock & Mane much more than just an e-commerce site. Sure, you can purchase a T3 hairdryer or Oscar Blandi shampoo or a crystal Jennifer Behr headwrap, but we also want you to come to Lock & Mane for the latest in hair and beauty news. In addition to giving our opinions on the latest hair trends, we have interviewed respected hair stylists, celebrities, and trendsetters. The blog is a fun and useful resource for the hair-obsessed.


4. Lock & Mane seems to have nailed the social media aspect of the business. Why do you think it is important to be on Twitter, Facebook, etc.?

It is vitally important for us to communicate with our customers! We want to hear what they have to say about products, accessories as well as celebrity hair trends. Other beauty retail sites have completely lost the personal touch and we are trying to bring that back. We enjoy being friends with our customers and we chat with them on Twitter and Facebook daily.


5. I love that one of your past blog posts was dedicated to wanting to dye Sookie's (from True Blood) hair. If you could kidnap any celebrity and change his or her hair, who would it be?
Oh so many. Britney comes to mind immediately. Poor thing. Someone needs to force her to take out the extensions and just rock a pixie or bob while her hair grows out. Also the entire Kardashian family needs a haircut. I have issues with ultra long hair. I'm a big proponent of well-manicured ends and hair that won't get stuck in your cleavage.


6. You're the hair guru, where do you get your hair done?

I split my time between Philadelphia and New York. When I'm in Philly, I go to Hush Salon in Old City where I see Carlos Rogers. When in New York, I go to Pierre Michel on 57th Street - my mom has been seeing Ron Levin for color for over 15 years.


7. What does it take to be part of the Lock & Mane team?

Enthusiasm, a sense of humor, and willingness to try any product! We definitely have fun at Lock & Mane and we want our customers to experience that when they visit the site. Also happy hour features prominently in our lives. Anyone who can't mix a good dirty martini in less than 20 seconds is turned away during the interview.


8. Finally, it's no secret that I love fashion - and you recently raved about Louis Vuitton's Fall 2010 ad campaign. I agree; it's divine. Besides the 1950's flipped ponies, what other hair trends would you love to see this fall?

I love big hair, so for me voluminous, sultry hairstyles are always preferable to straight and sleek. I also believe the braid trend may have reached its limit. I'm hoping to see a more mature trend for the autumn and winter.

Many thanks to Jackie for taking the time to answer my questions! P.s. - Isn't her hair great?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers