Exclusive - An Interview with Liz Auerbach, Senior PR for alice + olivia




Just in time for Fashion Week, we caught up with Liz Auerbach, Senior PR for alice + olivia. In this exclusive interview, she dishes on her Southern roots, what people made fun of her for in high school, the magazine she had every issue of growing up, and much more!

1. You just accepted the Senior PR position at alice + olivia after working for Nine West. Congratulations! Why did you choose to work in fashion PR as opposed to other areas?

I have always been passionate about fashion. As a child, I dreamed of one day becoming a fashion designer, but that transitioned into writing about fashion, which then led me to working in public relations; it was a great way to combine things that I loved - fashion, writing and working with people.

2. How did you end up where you are now? Would you mind explaining how you went from college graduate to Senior PR at alice + olivia?

Well, I graduated in 2004 from the University of Georgia with a degree in Journalism and knew that I always wanted to live in NYC and pursue a career in the fashion industry, so I resigned from my job at TBS in Atlanta as a researcher and segment producer for the show "Movie and a Makeover" and moved up here without a job. I quickly started freelancing as a PR assistant for Kenneth Cole and working as a freelance editor/stylist and publicist for a few years at a few different jobs including WWD and an on-camera position on a short-lived party show on the Discovery Channel. I then landed a job at Brown Shoe Company as their PR Coordinator and was there almost a year when Nine West picked me up. I was there for almost 4.5 years and loved it. The opportunity to work in a contemporary fashion brand for a+o randomly presented itself very recently.

3. What advice do you have for college seniors who are about to enter the workforce and want to work in fashion PR?

Hmm...The best advice I can offer would be to stay hungry and optimistic. This industry is extremely cut-throat and the pace can sometimes be overwhelming, but you have to have passion in order to really get the most out of any situation. If you love what you are doing, that will negate any other negative experiences, in my opinion. Also, you have to have a thick skin in PR. You must learn never to take any criticism personally. It is tough to do, but a positive attitude will ultimately lead you to success in any career that you pursue.

4. How do you define public relations? Or, what do you say when people ask you what you do?

Haha, that is a great question! A lot of times I say that I work as the "hub of communication," which is quite true. Public relations is all about maintaining an image of a brand, person, etc. and you also become the mediator between the outside world and the company/person that you represent. You have to keep everyone internally and externally informed and make sure that everyone and everything is reported correctly, honestly, and in a positive light.

5. What is a typical day in your life like? And is any day really typical?

No such thing in this industry, lol - especially with Fashion's Week and Fashion Night Out quickly approaching. We are in crunch time right now! Everyday brings some new brainstorm, angle, idea, inspiration. It always keeps you on your toes, which is great if you are up to the challenge.

6. What are your plans for Fashion's Night Out this year?

FNO is going to be great fun for alice + olivia! We are hosting our 2nd annual FNO Top Model Contest at our flagship store in Bryant Park! The winner will get to walk in our fashion show on Sept. 14! There will also be special guests and surprises throughout the night.

7. The New York Fashion Week line up just went out - which designer's show would you die to see?

Oh boy... I'd hate to be trite, but I'd love to see Marc Jacobs and Proenza. I am also a major Alexander Wang fan, so that would be cool too. But no time to see other shows! That is what Style.com is for! :)

8. You've had an amazing career. Is there any one moment or job you've been most proud of?

That is so nice to hear! Thank you! :) I am proud of every job I've had. I think when you always work hard and have passion, you will always look back at past experiences fondly.

9. What is something we would be surprised to learn about you?

Hm...I am from a small town in North Florida called Gainsville (where the University of Florida is) and I was always made fun of for wearing outlandish things to school. Oh and I was also a minor in art history and am completely obsessed with post-modern art! If I wasn't in fashion, I would work as an art publicist or gallery manager.

10. I know you were a major player in the Pay It Fashion Forward event for Fashion Delivers. Why is it important for you to work with charities and for countries like Haiti?

Fashion Delivers is an amazing organization that one of my close friends, Shanya Fernando, co-founded and brought me and our other friends into. We have accomplished so much so quickly. I think it just made sense to have an organization within the fashion industry where we could find a way to give back using the means that we have access to (i.e. surplus samples, events, celebrities). I think the fashion industry, especially the younger members, needed that outlet. We wanted to feel connected and that we could contribute to the greater good while still working in a field that we loved.

11. Who are your role models in this industry?

I have so many for so many different reasons... As a child, I was obsessed with Anna Sui's creativity and the fashion magazine Sassy (I owned every single issue), so that lead me to research careers in fashion. I am a huge fan of fashion writers such as Cathy Horyn. She is incredibly insightful and refreshingly honest. Of course, Anna Wintour has always fascinated me as well.

A thousand thanks to Liz for taking time away from her work to answer a few of our questions! Be sure to check out alice + olivia's flagship store in Bryant Park on Fashion's Night Out! And, as always, keep checking back for the place for all your PR, fashion, and other industry news!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers