Gilbert Gottfried Gets Fired From Aflac Duck Gig



Social networking isn’t always a good thing — just because you can post whatever half-baked thought pops into your head doesn’t mean that you should. Take it from comedian Gilbert Gottfried, the voice of the Aflac duck since 2000, who was promptly fired for making jokes about the recent disasters in Japan on his Twitter account.

Gottfried made several crude jokes about the recent Japanese disasters, including this one: "I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, 'They'll be another one floating by any minute now.'"

Insurer Aflac derives approximately three-quarters of its revenue from Japan, so it makes sense that his tasteless jokes cost him his job. And I think we can all agree that there’s really nothing funny about the current tragedy that is taking place in Japan.

Unsurprisingly, Gottfried apologized in a statement today that said, "I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by my attempt at humor regarding the tragedy in Japan. I meant no disrespect, and my thoughts are with the victims and their families.”

Aflac is currently casting for a new voice for the duck.

Looks like Gottfried should have stuck to quacks instead of offensive wisecracks.

MSMPR24seven does not own the rights to the image above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers