Snake on a Plain Man



I know I’ve only been in the city for 8 days, but up until around 1:30pm today, I had myself all but convinced that I was on my way to becoming a real New Yorker.

(Sidenote: For those interested, my opinion of a “real” New Yorker is such: someone who can stop herself from gasping by way of a mere roll of the eyes when she runs into a ragged-looking man with a python draped around his neck the second after she steps outside of NYU's Palladium doors).

To be fair, I should have seen this coming. While I may have mastered that small task yesterday (while in heels, natch), I knew realistically that I had a very long way to go before I feel comfortable in this concrete jungle. Which is why I wasn’t surprised when I found myself wondering somewhat aimlessly around Midtown today – and by Midtown, I mean some 60 blocks of some section of New York City I’m assuming to be Midtown.

Besides a slight case of dehydration – nothing this Southern girl couldn’t handle – and some painful new blisters on my feet, I found something else during my hour-long stroll today, something my readers might appreciate. I found a cause.

The Human Rights Campaign – according to the inconspicuous dreadlocked man that stopped me outside Zara today – needs our help. He told me that the HRC was fighting against other larger and richer organizations to help end the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, and that he was there today because he knew the Senate vote was quickly approaching. He asked for people to stop, listen, and if they had the means, contribute to the cause. Now, since I can’t pass along any “real" New York wisdom, I thought I’d pass along the HRC’s message, because it is one I support.

In their words, “The Human Rights Campaign envisions an America where all LGBT people are ensured equality and are embraced as full members of the America family at home, at work and in every community.”

For more information on the Human Rights Campaign, visit www.hrc.org or call them toll-free at 1-800-727-4723.

Again, this is solely the opinion of this blogger, Claire Marie Biggs, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of MSMPR, their clients, or their investors.

"The Equality logo is a trademark of the Human Rights Campaign Inc."



This article is dedicated to my sassy gay friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers