How Saying "Whatever You Need" Will Help Your Career


I arrived at work an hour earlier than the other interns yesterday so I could work on some web clips when one of the bosses came by and asked me if I was busy.

(Note: I WAS busy: I had web clips to complete, cold calls to make, and contact information to verify).

I told her, no, however, and that I would do whatever she needed.

While this may seem like a poor move in time management, just know that the task she asked me to do was simple, taking only five minutes max. An hour later, she came by and asked me to sit in on a meeting for one of our major clients. Not only did I get to sit in on the meeting - unlike the rest of the interns - but I was also assigned some responsibility, which means I would now be CC'd in our their emails, included in their meetings, etc.

What does this all mean for you? Like my post mentioned yesterday, it's clear we're all busy. But it doesn't hurt to help out someone if you can manage it, because the rewards that you receive are going to make it so worth it.

Just remember, making yourself useful to the people in your office and in upper management is going to do wonders for your career in the long-run. So, if you can, take on as much as you can, and see where your hard work takes you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers